Sunday, February 27, 2005

Jordan's Baptism

I just have to write a few lines about this because it had such a great affect on me today. I got to see my dear friend's daughter, Jordan, who was in my Sunday School class until just a few months ago, baptized this morning and it was just such a beautiful joyous occasion. I need to fill in a little bit of background here - my dh and I just recently started going to a new church because he has a disagreement about a particular theological teaching in our old denomination. It's one of those not-all-Christians-agree kind of things. As a matter of fact, he and I disagree about it. This was especially hard for me because I love our old church. We'd been there since shortly after we got married and this was truly my family - closer to me even than some of my real family. So when he decided it was time to go somewhere else...wll, let's just say I was put to the test. Do I follow him even though I disagree? Or do I stay at the church I believe is right? By the way this is strictly an issue of doctrine and, while important, doesn't involve either of us sinning or anything like that. He wanted to find a new church, not join a cult or start hitting the clubs:) So after much heartache and prayer I finally was able to say "whither thou goest..." and we found a new church. But I have been missing my old church so much and having to deal with my son who's also missing it. But God is so good to me! Dh woke up too sick to venture out this morning (that's not the good part!) and since I had to take the kids by myself he was just fine with us going back to our old church for a visit. I didn't know about Jordan being baptized until I got there because no one wanted to tell me and make me sad about having to miss it. I was so thrilled to be there and it just did my heart so much good. I drove home just thanking God the whole way for knowing just what I needed. It's almost more than I can comprehend that the God of the universe cares whether I'm happy or sad. And I know some will say that I'm making a big deal out of what is essentially a coincidence. I'm certain that's what I'd have said just a couple of years ago, but I just can't believe that anymore. It's too much, too personal, too often, too exact. I'm so thankful.

No comments: