Sunday, August 02, 2009

Cooking for the freezer

Finally, I feel like I'm getting something done! I really wanted to have the freezer packed with meals before the baby gets here (5 1/2 weeks, tops!), but I just knew that there was no way I'd be able to work in even one big mega cooking day. So I've just been making one or two extra things a day, usually just doubling whatever we're having for supper. Also I went ahead and invested in disposable pans and ziploc bags on our last trek to Sams. The pans worked out to be about 30 cents each. Compared to what we'll save by not having to eat out as often, that's not a bad deal.
Here's what I have in the freezer so far (numbers refer to how many meals worth, not individual servings).
  • 1 chili
  • 1 hamburgers
  • 2 meatballs
  • 3 grilled, sliced chicken breasts (for fajitas, chicken salads)
  • 3 chopped, grilled chicken (for quesadillas)
  • 4 browned, crumbled hamburger (for tacos, sloppy joes, emergency Hamburger Helper!)
  • 1 spaghetti sauce
  • 1 chicken pot pie
  • 2 banana streusel muffins
  • 1 twice baked potatoes

Still to make? Some of my favorites...tortellini soup (add the tortellini just before serving), the meat for Marlboro Man sandwiches, lasagna, and cinnamon rolls! Plus granola to take to the hospital with me.

A great cookbook for making food that freezes well and still tastes good - The Best Make Ahead Recipe Cookbook.

No comments: