Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Visiting someone in the hospital

My granny had to be in the hospital last week so I wanted to take her some things to make her stay a little nicer. I'm hoping to make my own stay a little nicer in a few weeks, too, so any ideas are welcome! This is what I came up with.

The rooms themselves are always so sterile, it's nice to have some little luxuries around.

  • A nice pillowcase
  • colorful placemats for the bed tray
  • a small vase with flowers for the tray (large arrangements are wonderful, but too big to go next to your plate)
  • a subtle room or linen spray
  • maybe even a personal cd player with a cd of soothing sounds (my granny and I both love thunderstorm sounds)

Snack food is a good option, just keep in mind any dietary restrictions the patient might have. But even when the patient can't snack, the family members staying with them might appreciate a quick bite they can grab without leaving the room...

  • fresh fruit or veggies that won't be messy - grapes, baby carrots, or strawberries don't even leave a peel - in a resealable container
  • chocolate!
  • granola or cereal bars
  • cookies and a small jar of peanut butter (and a plastic knife)

Pampering products usually lift a person's spirits.

  • lotions (unscented unless you're pretty sure the patient will love the scent)
  • chapstick
  • super fluffy socks

Entertainment...there's only so much tv a person can watch!

  • playing cards (and offer to play a game while you visit)
  • beautiful magazines that don't require any deep thought
  • crossword puzzle books or even coloring books and crayons (not just for kids!)

And the thing I appreciate the most in hospital is good company!

2 comments:

Angela said...

These are great ideas! I had a week long stay in the hospital a few years ago, and my grandma FedExed me slipper-socks and other goodies. Such thoughtfulness (and the practicality of the gifts!) really helped me make it through my stay.
I know your grandma must have appreciate your kindness very much.

Shannon said...

Angela - I have a little experience with hospitals and I know how easy it is to get lonely and bored! I think the best thing is to visit when possible.
Speaking of visiing - thank you for dropping by!