Saturday, January 03, 2009

We had a busy, busy month! Levi's 7th birthday was so much fun! I can't believe my baby is 7 - when did that happen? Last year 6 seemed so grown up... We've both had some growing pains this year. I've had a hard time adjusting to being the mom of a bigger kid - we aren't a family of babies anymore! There's suddenly a lot of Star Wars and Transformers talk around here.



He asked for a Star Wars birthday party this year. Since we only have parties every other year, I wanted to make this one especially fun.

The cake had a dark side and a light side. We also had dark force (coke) and light force (sprite) to drink. And pizza:) We had to order the plates since Walmart is the only local store that even carries party supplies and they didn't have anything star wars-y. But ebay saved the day.

The kids made their ownlight sabers out of pipe insulation tubes and colored duct tape. Casey and I put handles on each one ahead of time with silver duct tape. The kids loved making their own. Since it was warm outside they played two "space games" in the yard. In the first game they used balloons to practice their lightsaber skills (keeping the balloon off the ground using their sword) and they hunted for "meteors" (balled up alminum foil) which contained light sticks. The light sticks (a great present from my dad) kept them busy for a long time. It was fun to plan and Levi was very happy:) I remember now though why we only do this every other year. Soon I'll have to plan Jack's three year old party - he's requested Batman. Hmmm....

4 comments:

Edi said...

OK I'm going to have to remember these party ideas b/c my soon to be 7 yr old LOVES Star Wars too. I like the light and dark side cake/soda ideas especially.

And what is it about Star Wars that makes young boys love it so much!!?

Shannon said...

I don't know - I fought it for a while, but my dh pointed out that it does offer a pretty clear morality tale. Maybe little boys need to learn to fight evil? I can't really argue with that:)

Meredith said...

I love the make-your-own lightsaber idea!

That was the one hitch with the other Star Wars party: getting enough light sabers on my budget.

Well, that and keeping boys from hitting each other.

Your foam idea solves both dilemmas!

Shannon said...

They were soft enough (and the kids were big enough) that they enjoyed really fighting wih them, although the balloon game did give them something else to do besides just whacking one another:)

One of the moms even joked about taking her sons home as a "discipline instrument" because they make a loud noise but don't really hurt. :) The other neat thing is that they seem to be holding up really well. Ours see daily use and still look new:)