Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Renewing my mind


After I wrote yesterday about getting things together I did manage to check off the items on my list. But my heart just wasn't in it. I was so looking forward to feeling like I'd accomplished something, but I was so cranky and I think we all know if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

So, after spending today trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to shake myself out of my discouragement, I finally sent the kids out to the pool and sat down at the computer. A self-indulgent waste of time? Well, not this time, anyway.

I looked through all my homemaking files and my favorites list and found one uplifting article after another. After spending a little time drinking from this fountain of material, I feel so energetic, so ready to tackle this mess. Here are a few of my very favorites...


  • Why I Love Homemaking I think there will be a lot of women in Heaven thanking Laine. Her letters are so cheerful and self-effacing and...they're just wonderful.

  • Homemaking: An Art to Be Learned This is a really good article about learning to care for a home. I think it's really written for girls and young women, but the description at the beginning of the workings of an ideal home is lovely.

  • The Wife and Queens Ride By should be required reading for every new bride. Thinking about all the work involved with running a home makes the task seem larger than life, but when I remember the effect that it has on my husband and my kids (and me!) it makes it so much easier.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm glad you're feeling better.

Sometimes we get so busy serving, our husbands, our children...that we forget to enjoy them.

Don't beat yourself up if not everything gets done. Just pick up where you left off in the morning and be excited for what you DID get done!

Shannon said...

It can be so easy to focus on checking off that to do list!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the link to "When Queens Ride By." I'm only starting to learn the lesson it contains, so it was very encouraging!